Friday, March 14, 2008

And on to the Quarterfinals...

Wow, I really got a lot of my predictions wrong.

I thought Spurs would go through, but forgot they're and English club and thus can't win in penalties. I thought Marseilles would go through, but forgot that in the 4 previous matches where they needed at least a point to advance (CL included), they lost 3 of those (and are now 4-for-5). And Hamburg...so sorry to see you boys go. And its probably be the last time Van der Vaart plays for HSV in Europe.

Below are highlights via footytube:
(Home team in CAPS, aggregate in brackets)

WERDER BREMEN 1-0 Rangers [1-2]

SPORTING LISBON 1-0 Bolton [2-1]

EVERTON 2-0 Fiorentia [2-2p]

Tottenham 1-0 PSV EINDHOVEN[1-1p]

Anderlecht 2-1 BAYERN MUNICH [2-6]

HAMBURG 3-2 Bayer Leverkusen [3-3a]

ZENIT ST. PETERSBURG 2-0 Marseille [3a-3]

GETAFE 1-0 Benfica [3-1]


Lastly, the draw was today and is as follows:

Leverkusen vs. Zenit
Rangers vs. Sporting
Bayern vs. Getafe
Fiorentia vs. PSV Eindhoven.

The first leg is scheduled for April 3, the second April 10th. I'll post a preview when the first leg nears (but I'm going with Zenit as the darkhorse).